The members of Maple Sheyenne Lutheran Church are thankful for the pioneer members who came to this location in the early days. Two of the first settlers were August Landblom and Hans Hoglund, who arrived on April 14, 1871, and built their log cabin near the confluence of the Maple and Sheyenne rivers, where the church would later be located.
Then others came, all intent upon building homes and raising their families in a community where there would be schools and a church where they could worship. Homes of sod and homes of logs from the abundance of trees in the area were built, and eventually there where school houses and teachers. And then, with labor, courage, and faith, the church became a reality and not just a dream.
In 1871, Rev. J. Magny came to visit the Red River Valley, but no service was held during his visit. August Landblom sent a request to Pastor Hasselquist at Andover, Illinois, and in response, a Rev. Brink came to the Valley. Following the visit of a third pastor, Rev. J. P. Mattson, a congregation was organized on February 5, 1878, with request for admittance into the Augustana Synod. From these humble but proud beginnings Maple Sheyenne Lutheran Church has been a presence in the Red River Valley for over 140 years!